Every time a bell rings, a cupcake gets its frosting.
Kristin, my former teammate on the Michigan softball team, decided to visit me in Chicago on her way home from Ann Arbor. In honor of the holiday season and sweet baby Jesus, we made eggnog cupcakes with a splash of brandy. Or rather, brandy cupcakes with a splash of eggnog. Just in case you got worried, rum or bourbon would work splendidly, as well. Once again, I stole some recipes. Hello, my name is Rachael, and I’m a kleptomaniac.
Eggnog Cupcake Ingredients:
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup butter, room temp
3 eggs, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup eggnog
¼ cup brandy (bourbon or dark rum—all of one or a mix)
2 ¼ cups flour
1 teaspoon each baking powder and soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Spiced Brandy/Bourbon/Rum Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
½ cup margarine
½ cup shortening
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup milk
Directions for cupcakes:
– Cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
– Beat in eggs until blended.
– Mix together eggnog, brandy, and vanilla.
– In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.
– Alternate adding dry and wet ingredients into egg mixture mixing until combined.
– Scoop into lined cupcake tins and bake at 350° for 20–22 minutes.
– Let cool completely before frosting.
Directions for frosting:
– In a mixing bowl beat the butter until soft and creamy.
– Add in the powdered sugar a little at a time until all the sugar is absorbed.
– Beat in the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brandy/bourbon/rum.
– Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with more nutmeg (or cinnamon or both).
Frost your cupcakes and sprinkle a bit of spice—your choice (not rosemary or thyme)—on top. Then, keep the camera steady and get a good picture. This cupcake is worth documenting.
What I learned from this experience:
- A = I like eggnog.
- B = I like brandy.
- A + B = C. C = I like eggnog and brandy cupcakes.
Jump-start 2011 with an eggnog and brandy cupcake. Let me tell you, I have a new, red KitchenAid Mixer ready to jump-start the new year. Watch out, everybody. I’m gonna bake a cupcake that’s a foot long… That’s one of my New Year’s resolutions.
Happy New Year, cupcake bakers.