Rachael’s Irish soda cupcakes infused with a honey & whiskey syrup, and topped with a whiskey buttercream frosting
The ecard below describes me pretty well. If this is you, make these cupcakes. If this isn’t you, make these cupcakes. It’s as simple as that.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Bake time: 15 – 18 minutes
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
1 cup buttermilk
¼ cup butter, melted
¼ cup canola oil
¾ cup dried currants or raisins
For Irish Whiskey Buttercream Frosting:
2 sticks butter, softened
~3 cups confectioners sugar, to preference
3 tablespoons Irish whiskey (or more!)
1/4 teaspoon salt
– In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and caraway seeds. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, butter and oil.
– Before combining dry and wet ingredients, grab a small palmful of the dry ingredients and throw into a separate bowl with the currants/raisins. Make sure the raisins are coated in flour. Then, stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just moistened. Do not overmix. Fold in flour-coated currants/raisins.
– Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool.
– Whisk together equal parts honey and whiskey. Poke holes in tops of cupcakes and spoon the honey & whiskey concoction over the tops. Let it soak in and repeat.
– For frosting: Beat butter until fluffy, add salt. Gradually add confectioners sugar and whiskey until desired consistency is reached.